To Split or Not to Split, the never-ending question

• 12 Apr 2022 8:45 AM
    Reply # 12705032 on 12702074
    Clyde Dildine (Administrator)

Yes, I know.  I sure felt intimidated the first time I did it.  I felt like a nervous expectant father awaiting the arrival of my newborn.  Do a little research and you will do fine.  I suggest you search the ABJ archives for articles on walk away splits.  

• 11 Apr 2022 6:17 PM
    Reply # 12704207 on 12702074
    Anonymous

Clyde I’ll have to start reading more on it. It sounds a little intimidating but what the heck why not?

Last modified: 11 Apr 2022 6:17 PM | Anonymous
  • 11 Apr 2022 9:37 AM
    Reply # 12703464 on 12702074
    Clyde Dildine (Administrator)

Raising your own queens is one of beekeeping's pure joys.  It's easy to do, saves money, eliminates the need to find scarce queens, reduces swarming.  What's not to like?

• 10 Apr 2022 8:08 AM
    Message # 12702074
    Anonymous

Hey All,

This has been a popular topic in Central Oregon bee forums I feel like as of late. I've got several very successful booming overwintered hives as of two weeks ago (8-10 frames of brood/eggs). No swarm cells yet, saw some queen cups here and there). So, I'm thinking about splitting of course, I've never done it. I usually just wait till Queens are available in May and requeen and manage there space available by adding supers which has always prevented swarming for me. 

This year, with so many hives doing so well so early I'm tempted, but as everyone knows locally available mated queens are hard to come by (I'd plan on purchasing queens for splits and not having them raise their own). I'm hoping to prevent swarming with the first honey flow starting in a couple weeks, well some of it has already started here in the Orchard district (not for my Tumalo hives yet though) the only thing keeping things calm I feel like is the fickle weather. 

Just curious on any advice, thoughts or ideas on the matter.

Thanks hive mind!

-Kevin

Last modified: 10 Apr 2022 8:08 AM | Anonymous