Top Bar Mayhem? Or setting up shop?

• 06 May 2016 11:50 AM
    Reply # 4006986 on 4005335
    Deleted user

Thanks Dennis -

I did not treat for varroa mites in the fall - as I did not see any signs of them. 

The hive size appeared to be of sufficient size in the fall, but I do not know if the queen was laying well.

Thanks for the feedback - on both the queen & colony and the now 'empty' hive.

-Dan

• 06 May 2016 10:15 AM
    Reply # 4006851 on 4005335

Dan, it sounds like your hive had too small of a population to maintain survivable nest temperatures during the cold part of the winter.  It is hard to say why.  Many causes are possible, most (in my opinion) likely are queen was laying poorly in the fall resulting in a small population, or, varroa mite infestation which caused the bees to have weakened immune systems, making them susceptible to various viruses, also introduced, or magnified by,  varroa mites, which resulted in high mortality rate, and again small population.

Did you treat for varroa mites last fall? If so when, (approximate date) and with what?  What was the population like last fall?

It is possible that a swarm could move into the empty hive, I don't know if robbers would discourage that or not.  But, you could remove all but some empty comb and a swarm would be just as likely to move in.  Then you could add back the honey. The empty comb will act as an attractant. The scouts for a swarm are more interested in the nest size, and height from the ground. The old comb provides a scent to help attract them. 

Dennis

• 05 May 2016 2:33 PM
    Message # 4005335
    Deleted user

Earlier this spring my top bar colony began its outdoor activities as the days warmed. I was torn as to whether I should feed them, or rely on the stores in the hive.

Ultimately, I found that in my hive the queen had died, with maybe 500-1000 (?) bees tightly around her. Other than that - the hive was empty, save for large stores of honey. I thought it was my lack of early feeding that had likely contributed to the death of the colony, but upon finding many pounds of honey still stored in the hive, I would have thought they would have been fine. 

Ideas as to the death of the queen and colony?

And on another related note: after I moved some of the bars around and removed a small portion of the honey stores, MANY bees now visit and are in and out the hive box - many I am sure, are honey robbers, but is there any reason why a swarm or some such would not want to (re) occupy the hive? Or is it more likely the bees are just taking the honey that is in there?