Queen issues?

• 25 Jun 2016 10:05 AM
    Reply # 4101933 on 4101322

Have you seen eggs at any time in your inspections?  Have you seen any signs of queen cells during your inspections?

If there are no eggs, your queen may not have survived the forming of the nuke.

If you didn't have a queen and had eggs initially, the hive (nuke) would have attempted to raise a queen. 

You might be able to go back to your nuke supplier and ask if they will supply a replacement queen if you can verify that you have no queen, or the queen isn't laying.  Do you know someone who can look through the hive with you? What area of central Oregon do you live in?

• 24 Jun 2016 9:51 PM
    Message # 4101322
    Deleted user

First time keeping bees and I need help. I've been suspecting I've been having queen issues for a few weeks now and finally got time to check the hive today.  Early May I bought a nuc and have done a good job checking the hive and seeing what's going on, as good as a newbie can.  Hive checks revealed healthy pupa and pretty good patterns.  I have yet to see a queen but figured I had an untrained eye and assumed she was there......  Fast forward a month and a half and I have a lot more bees but none have moved into new frames and I don't seem to see any newly closed cells, just bees cleaning cells, a few pupa and storing pollen. Should my hive have expended into new frames by now?  And if the issue is my queen, how do I determine what type of queen to purchase (Italian it carniolan).  Any help would be appreciated