Garden planning in Central Oregon

• 01 Mar 2017 7:21 AM
    Reply # 4641314 on 4639948
    Clyde Dildine (Administrator)

First of all please check out Victory Gardens for Bees by Lori Weidenhammer available through the library.  This is a great resource covering most of our pollinating bees, including the honey bee.  I have developed a presentation on this subject to be delivered at a future COBKA monthly meeting.  It is based on my own personal experience in my garden and my Master Gardener based knowledge of what plants work well in Central Oregon.  This spring and summer please visit the OSU Demonstration Garden at the OSU Extension Office at the fairgrounds in Redmond to see real life bee plants in action. 

In the meantime, here's my list of bee friendly Central Oregon plants and trees:

Borage
    Black-eyed Susan
    Calendula
    California Poppy
    Catmint
    Coneflower
    Cornflower
    Desert Sweet
    Gaura
    Crocus
    Lacy Phacelia
    Lavender

Lemon Queen Sunflower
    Lewis Flax
    Milkweed
    Purple Prairie Clover
    Rocky Mt. Bee Plant
    Rocky Mt. Penstemon
    Russian Sage
    Salvia
    Sea Holly
    Veronica Speedwell
    Wild Bee Balm
    Mountain Hollyhock
    Yarrow
    Zinnias
    Chokecherry
    Flowering Crabapple
    Apple
    Pear
    Linden
    Serviceberry
    Vine Maple

If I were to only have one plant in my garden for bees it would be Borage.  Its flowers refresh their nectar every five minutes during the day.  The only caution is this plant can spread easily so care must be taken to contain it.  Raised beds work great for that.  I am sure others have favorite plants that work as well.  Have fun planting.

• 28 Feb 2017 12:59 PM
    Message # 4639948
    Deleted user

Hello all!  I am starting to plan my garden for the year and am looking for some suggestions on plants for my bees that do well locally(Bend).  Please include when the plants flower as well.  

Cheers!