Help with cause of death

• 26 Apr 2017 9:43 AM
    Reply # 4783504 on 4772306

Keith, My thought also is that the maggots were fly maggots. I think the freezing temperatures would have killed SHB (Small Hive Beetle) once the bees were dead, if there were any in the first place.  You can scrape off the worst of the mess and leave the rest.  Your new bees will clean it up. 

Did you have an upper entrance or for ventilation? I had a hive that looked similar this year (it died) and it probably was at least partially because I didn't have an upper entrance to allow air circulation and prevent moisture from building up in the hive.  That can be a killer too. The moisture condenses inside on the roof roof and drips back down on the bees preventing them from maintaining a livable temperature in the cluster.  Some people use an absorbent cloth or pad, or sawdust, in a chamber above the hive bodies with some type of opening between the hive body and the upper chamber so moisture can pass out of the hive body and be absorbed. I didn't have an inner cover with a slot in it for that hive, which is what I normally do.

Dennis 

• 25 Apr 2017 5:24 PM
    Reply # 4779567 on 4772306
    Deleted user

The maggots were still alive

• 25 Apr 2017 4:31 PM
    Reply # 4779517 on 4772306

Keith,

I concur with Allen, SHB not likely, were the maggots still alive? Where did you get your bees?  It's commonly recognized now that if your bees have a serious infestation of Varroa mites, (High mite count when monitoring by whatever method) even if you treat them their survival prospects are not good.

Dennis G.

• 25 Apr 2017 2:02 PM
    Reply # 4779209 on 4772306
    Deleted user

Thanks Allen.  I've got the same question in on a few other forums and got some feedback about possible starvation due them not wanting to leave the cluster in search of food further away in the hive.  Do you think it is feasible to scrape the bad comb off and leave the honey in the frames for my new nuc?

• 25 Apr 2017 1:26 PM
    Reply # 4779116 on 4772306
    Allen Engle (Administrator)

Keith,

This was a hard winter for many folks.  There are no perfect answers, however.....

My suspicion is that the bees were stressed by mites (what did you use for control?) and weren't able to cluster appropriately during the extended cold and snow.  I agree it looks like there is some food still available, so they probably didn't starve (also didn't see lots of bees (in circles) with heads in and butts out).

My thoughts are that the maggots are from flies during the warm days feasting on the dead bees.  As far as I've heard, there haven't been any reports of SHB on this side of the mountains yet.

That's my opinion.

Allen Engle 

• 24 Apr 2017 9:09 AM
    Message # 4772306
    Deleted user

I knew my hive was dead after all the snow we got but haven't gotten a chance to open it until this last weekend.  Prior to opening it I suspected it was a varroa infestation since I battled to rid the hive of the mites prior to prepping it for winter.  When I opened the hive this weekend I was led to believe that there may have been another cause of death.  I did a little research and think I have it narrowed down to small hive beetles but I would like (if people are so kind) a second opinion.  

There are two main things that lead me to the hive beetle. 1-maggots or worms observed in a couple location in the comb and 2- each frame on the bottom had rotten bees and comb on it.  This rotten comb was all in a line, the bottom of the box toward the front of the entrence (you can see in the attached photos). I have read that small hive beetles can leave something behind in their footprints that causes the honey to ferment; all of this "rotten comb" is in a pattern that looks like the beetle left the cluster of bees and traveled along the bottom of the hive leaving a trail of fermented honey.  The most concentrated "rotten comb" is closest to where the cluster was going into winter.  I had the hive prepped for winter pretty well but I suppose this could have been excess moisture.

I should add that all the bees died.  There was probably 4-5 frames of honey left when I opened it up, some adjacent to where the queen, brood and the rest of the bees were prior to winter.  Some bees were found dead with their heads sticking in a cell which I have read is a sign of starvation but I don't think that was the case since there was plenty of honey in the hive and there was still some honey adjacent to the brood and cluster of bees going into winter.

Any leads would be useful for a new beekeeper.  Thanks.  I've attached photos via dropbox since it seems you can't post photos on the forum.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xg8ffkh1ka1qezy/AACG7g8cEOVn_TiYty2W5VXTa?dl=0