Yellowjackets

• 24 May 2017 7:09 AM
    Reply # 4849439 on 4835282

What are people using for bait?  I've killed at least 50 yellowjacket queens this spring but not a single one in a trap.  Traps are common commercial traps using their lures and I have also tried the cat food trap shown in the video and have not caught a single yellowjacket. 

This is not a new experience but happens every spring and I speculate the queens out this time of year are more interested in finding nest sites than they are in finding food because later in the season the same traps will catch yellow jackets, though not as many as I would like to see. 

Also, concerning robbing screens, I'm thinking a person needs to put them on prior to robbing beginning.  Seems like once the yellowjackets learn there is something to rob they soon defeat the robbing screens, at least that's been my experience.  I'd be interested in hearing other thoughts on this. 

• 20 May 2017 11:46 AM
    Reply # 4843723 on 4835282
    Clyde Dildine (Administrator)

No, same attraction.  She's just out early before she goes into the nest permanently. 

• 19 May 2017 7:45 AM
    Reply # 4842092 on 4835282
    Allen Engle (Administrator)

Clyde,

Any differences in what attracts the queen vs the others?  That video is oddly satisfying.

Thanks,

Allen 

• 15 May 2017 5:18 PM
    Message # 4835282
    Clyde Dildine (Administrator)

A lot of us had problems with yellowjackets last year so now is the time to get started eradicating them for this season.  I have seen a bunch of them out already despite the cold weather.  It is especially important to to start now for there is a good chance you can kill their queen(s) while she is out mating. There are lots of commercial and homemade traps available.  Here is one I found on YouTube that I particularly like and am going to try this year.  Good luck.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng-ylBN43PA&t=12s