FlowHive and wintering bees

• 02 Aug 2017 5:05 PM
    Reply # 5009447 on 4982390

Wow, that's really helpful information. Thanks 

• 31 Jul 2017 7:33 AM
    Reply # 5003773 on 4982390
    Allen Engle (Administrator)

Marty,

You've still got about a month of forage time left, depending on where you live.   It's not necessarily the most productive time but it works.  Additionally, you could "extract" your flow hive, then put the second hive body on top of the first one.  If the second hive body has drawn comb, then add the wet extracted flow hive on top, if not give them a week to draw some comb in the second hive body before putting the wet extracted flow hive on top.  The goal is to have them clean out the flow hive and put the remainder it in the middle box.  After it's been cleaned out, I'd remove it until next year so the Freds concentrate on filling the second hive body and don't get distracted by the empty Flow Hive, and they don't need to air condition the extra large brood volume.  I'd then feed them if they'll take the syrup.

With respect to buying honey frames, Be careful from whom you purchase.  I have nothing against anyone specifically, however you're introducing  "unknown" equipment into your hive and don't know what diseases/poisons might be present.  If you want, though, you might post a request on the garage sale forum.

• 30 Jul 2017 3:31 PM
    Reply # 5003028 on 4982390

Ah. As I feared. I intended to leave the flow frames for them this year, but if the queen can't get up there, I'm going to be queenless in spring. If I add a middle brood box now, will they have time to fill it? I noticed the girls (who are all named Dave) are starting to come in with fat pollen legs. 

Is it possible to buy a couple honeyed frames from cobka?

Thanks for the info!

• 23 Jul 2017 11:14 AM
    Reply # 4990639 on 4982390
    Allen Engle (Administrator)

Marty,

Congratulations on a strong hive.

I'm not sure what your setup and plans are currently, so I'm assuming that you have an 8 frame hive body on the bottom, and a flowhive box on the top.  What I'm not sure is whether you're wanting to harvest the honey from the flowhive box.  If so, and you want to overwinter the colony, I'd recommend you remove the flow hive soon, and add a second hive body, or at a minimum a super for them to fill (probably take some feeding during Aug and Sept.  My rule of thumb is a minimum of two hive bodies full of honey and bees to overwinter.  Some folks do have success with less, however my feeling is more food is better and involves less extra feeding in winter and spring.  If the flowhive box has a built in queen excluder, it won't work as overwintering food.  The workers will move up into the box as the food in the lower box is depleted, leaving the queen to die in the lower box.  It seems the reason it would have a built in queen excluder is that they are suggesting using it as a honey super instead of a hive body.

Good Luck,

Allen Engle

• 18 Jul 2017 7:05 AM
    Message # 4982390

I have a thriving colony with an 8-frame brood box completely full and a top flowhive (honey only) box not yet full of honey. Since the queen is excluded from the top box, should I add a medium box between the two to get ready for winter? My thinking is that the current setup will have enough honey for winter for the hive, but the queen will be stuck below once the brood box is depleted.

Thanks