Flipping hives - OOPS, meant rearranging supers! MY BAD!

• 29 Mar 2020 10:14 AM
    Reply # 8865445 on 8851537

Bob, I tend to try reserve the term super, be it deep or shallow,for a box added for the collection of honey for harvest, and use the term "hive body" or "hive box" be it deep or shallow for the brood nest boxes.  I know that doesn't always work, and I sometimes have to backtrack and correct myself even now, but maybe it helps to keep things clear.  Of course this applies to Langstroth equipment.  Glad to hear you have hives that survived. 

Dennis

• 29 Mar 2020 10:05 AM
    Reply # 8865443 on 8851537

Hi Bob, I would say that if the cluster with brood is completely in the upper box including any brood, you can switch them. they will maintain their cluster, including protection of the brood in the lower box.  If when you open the hive, it appears that the brood nest is split between the upper and lower box, then you will have to decide whether it is just a little brood that you might sacrifice to the cold and the sacrifice is worth not having to look again later. Or maybe you should wait for warmer weather.  I don't think it is necessary to worry about it until the nectar flow gets going. Anyone else have a pet theory?

Dennis

Last modified: 29 Mar 2020 10:16 AM | Dennis Gallagher
  • 23 Mar 2020 5:26 PM
    Message # 8851537

Anyway, I have usually waited until the end of April to move the colony from where they have moved over the winter to the lower super.  NOW I realize my girls have told Governor Brown that she can take her honey and SHOVE IT cause they are not abiding to her "social distancing" protocol AT ALL!  Anyway, wondering what other beekeepers are doing about moving their colonies from the upper/winter super to the lower super this early?  I also don't want to bust the hive apart knowing that we still will have some cold conditions this spring.

Thanks - Bob