Bee feeding practices

• 17 Aug 2020 5:36 AM
    Reply # 9169639 on 9168304
    Allen Engle (Administrator)

I tend to think of bees both as not intrinsically smart but also not dumb.  If you provide handy sugar water, it's definitely easier to collect than going out to get it.  My recommendation is to use the amount of honey stored inside as your guide.  If it is quite or even mostly full, then I'd cut them off.

If they're still taking sugar water, though, I'd also be a bit concerned that they aren't actually using it themselves, but are being robbed.  When you open the hive, if there's very little honey stored, you might want to put on a robbing screen, or increase the strength of the hive.

• 16 Aug 2020 12:31 PM
    Message # 9168304
    Deleted user

This is my first year with hives and I have a lot to learn.  I have been keeping sugar water (1:1) available as well as pollen patties and they seem to be surviving completely on the food I have provided.  Despite hundreds of rabbitbrush and other flowers right out their door as well as lots of fresh water, they seem happy with the sugar water.  After literally hundreds of dollars in sugar, when should I expect them to find their own food?

Lynda